The American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada (ACLUNV) seeks applicants for a Staff Attorney in Las Vegas. The Staff Attorney will work with the ACLUNV’s legal team to effectively coordinate the organization’s statewide legal program under the direction of the Legal Director, including participation in non-litigation legal advocacy. The Staff Attorney is responsible for working with the Legal Director to identify and develop high impact civil liberties litigation, legal advocacy, supporting counsel on ACLU of Nevada cases, oversight of the intake process, performing legal research and drafting, and representing the ACLU of Nevada at community events and public meetings.
The ACLU of Nevada, the state’s premier public advocacy organization, is a not-for-profit, nonpartisan organization that employs public policy advocacy, litigation, and public education to protect and promote a broad range of individual rights and freedoms, including freedom of speech, voting rights, racial justice, privacy, religious liberty, reproductive rights, LGBTQ rights, and immigrants’ rights.
The ACLUNV is an affiliate of the national ACLU, the leading defender of civil liberties guaranteed by our nation’s Bill of Rights. The national ACLU implements its vital civil liberties mission in all 50 states in large part through affiliate entities such as the ACLUNV. To learn more about the work of the ACLUNV and the civil liberties and civil rights principles we uphold, please visit www.aclunv.org.
- Investigate, develop, and litigate civil liberties and civil rights cases;
- Conduct pre-litigation investigation including factual and legal research; devising legal theory and strategy; evaluating and analyzing potential claims; identifying possible plaintiffs and defendants; interviewing clients and potential witnesses; working with experts; preparing memoranda; and drafting demand letters;
- Participate as co-counsel or lead counsel in litigation including conducting discovery, drafting pleadings, and drafting motions and briefs;
- Research civil liberties questions as needed, and prepare legal memoranda and demand letters;
- Participate in the legal intake process by reviewing, responding to, and investigating complaints;
- Draft amicus briefs in cases of constitutional significance;
- Draft memoranda, reports, public education materials, and legislative advocacy support materials;
- Seek out and cultivate pro bono relationships and relationships with cooperating attorneys;
- Collaborate with the policy department as needed in the development of integrated advocacy;
- Write letters and provide public comment and testimony before state and local government and regulatory agencies;
- Represent the ACLUNV at bar functions, meetings and CLEs; help organize legal education trainings and public events;
- Develop and maintain relationships with national ACLU staff and other affiliates;
- Participate in national ACLU legal conferences and maintain the requisite CLE requirements;
- Provide assistance and recommendations to the Legal Director; the Executive Director, Policy Director and other staff who seek assistance;
- Meet with donors to discuss the legal program as requested; and
- Work with all staff members to promote and articulate ACLUNV positions, initiatives, and work.
- At least two (2) years of litigation experience;
- Membership in the Nevada Bar;
- J.D. from ABA-accredited law school;
- Ability to file and litigate cases independently and collaboratively;
- A deep and demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights, and strong support for the goals of the American Civil Liberties Union;
- Superior writing, analytical and research skills;
- Ability to self-start and to work independently under pressure;
- Ability to juggle workload and competing tasks;
- Strong public speaking and advocacy skills;
- Ability to develop and implement non-litigation strategies and tactics and engage in legal advocacy;
- Ability to work professionally, cooperatively and collegially on wide-ranging projects with lawyers, other staff, and diverse individuals, organizations, and coalitions in the community as well as between ACLUNV offices;
- Willingness to work outside of standard office hours and to travel overnight as needed.
- Ability to speak Spanish
- Plaintiffs’ side work and/or previous experience in civil rights or constitutional law litigation
Salary commensurate with experience, including health, life, disability, retirement, and other benefits. Bar dues, liability insurance and CLE expenses provided by ACLUNV.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please submit: (1) letter describing interest in the position and (2) a resume online at https://aclunv.bamboohr.com/jobs. If you are unable to upload the documents, please e-mail your application to email@example.com, with the subject: Staff Attorney Position. No phone calls please. All applications are confidential.
Applications without all required materials will not be considered. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, and record of arrest or conviction.
INTERNSHIPS AND VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
The ACLU of Nevada seeks legal interns throughout the year. As a legal intern you will be supervised directly by the ACLU of Nevada’s Legal Director and work with the entire legal team while developing advanced skills in brief writing, client communication, civic engagement and research. You will gain an understanding of the U.S. Constitution, as well as civil liberties and civil rights laws in the U.S. and the State of Nevada.
- A desire and a passion to learn about the ACLU of Nevada’s work
Demonstrated commitment to civil liberties and civil rights
Excellent academic credentials
Superior legal research and writing skills
Ability to work professionally, cooperatively, and collegially on wide-ranging projects with lawyers, staff members, and other diverse individuals
Current enrollment in a J.D. program
Apply online here and be prepared to submit:
- A letter of interest;
- legal writing sample; and
Upload all the required documents in one PDF through the link marked "Resume." when submitting your application. If you are unable to do so, please send all materials to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line "Legal Intern Application." Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
The ACLU of Nevada is a nonprofit organization and volunteers help expand the reach of the work we do to protect civil liberties.
The ACLU of Nevada is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU of Nevada encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status and record of arrest or conviction.